06/03/2003 9:02 PM ET
Draft: A look at Day 1
PITTSBURGH -- Day one of the annual First-Year Player Draft is in the books. For the second consecutive year, Pittsburgh Pirates Director of Scouting Ed Creech sat down with MLB.com to give a quick, one-line assessment of each of the Bucs' first 20 picks.
By Ed Eagle / MLB.com
1. Paul Maholm, LHP, Mississippi State
Ed Creech: "He's a four-pitch pitcher and we really love the sink on his fastball."
2. Thomas Gorzelanny, LHP, Triton CC
Ed Creech: "He's another four-pitch pitcher who has a very good arm and an above-average fastball."
3. Steve Lerud, C, Galena High School, NV
Ed Creech: "He's a left-handed-hitting power catcher with pop in his bat."
4. Kyle Pearson, RHP, A Crawford Mosley HS, FL
Ed Creech: "He's a solid high school pitcher with a very, very good slider."
5. Craig Stansberry, 2B, Rice University
Ed Creech: "He's a college infielder who can play shortstop, second and third. We see him as a second baseman."
6. Carl J. Smith, 1B, University of Florida
Ed Creech: "He's a power-hitting first baseman."
7. Russell J. Johnson, RHP, Benjamin Russell HS, AL
Ed Creech: "He's a solid kid with a good curveball."
8. Sergio Silva, RHP, University of Pacific
Ed Creech: "He's a solid pitcher out of U of P, a sinker/slider guy."
9. Kent Wulf, CF, Quartz Hill HS, CA
Ed Creech: "He's a high school outfielder that we want to make into a second baseman with a real good bat."
10. John Peabody, LF, Rancho Bernardo HS, CA
Ed Creech: "He's another high school outfielder with a power bat."
11. John Santiago, 3B, Nuestra Dei Carman, PR
Ed Creech: "He's a good athlete third baseman, maybe second baseman from Puerto Rico."
12. Adam Boeve, RF, Northern Iowa
Ed Creech: "He was a football player. He's a real strong kid who can run and has strength with the bat."
13. Lee Land, RHP, Riverside HS, NC
Ed Creech: "He's a feel pitcher that has a scholarship to Wake Forest. We think he has a high projection. "
14. Jacob Cuffman, RHP, Butler Area HS, PA
Ed Creech: "He's a local kid here and we project him as a right-hander with a good arm."
15. Dustin Molleken, RHP, Lethbridge CC, AB
Ed Creech: "He's a Canadian pitcher who is actually a high-school aged pitcher pitching at a Junior College up there. He's another good arm."
16. Justin C. Harris, SS, University of South Carolina
Ed Creech: "He's a college infielder that can play second, shortsop and third and he really knows how to play the game."
17. Steven Herce, RHP, Rice University
Ed Creech: "He's had some arm injuries in the past but came back strong this year. He's a kid who really knows how to pitch."
18. Pedro Powell, CF, Middle Georgia College
Ed Creech: "He's probably the fastest runner in our draft. We give him an 80 out of 80 rating as a runner. If we can teach him to hit we've got something."
19. Dallas Buck, RHP, Newberg HS, OR
Ed Creech: "He's another projection right-hander. He was probably projected to go a lot higher in the draft and we wanted to draft him just to see what we could do. He's going to college to play football."
20. Brett Holmes, CF, Auburn U. at Montgomery, AL
Ed Creech: "He's the grandson of [former Pirates player and manager] Bill Virdon. He's a center fielder who knows how to play the game and can run."
Creech also gave MLB.com his overall assessment of Day 1 of the draft:
"We're really happy," said Creech. "But there are 29 other teams who are patting themselves on the back right now, too.
"We really targeted some good players and we tried to get a mix of position players and pitchers and we felt like we accomplished that. We feel good."
Ed Eagle is a reporter for
MLB.com. This story was not subject to approval by Major League Baseball or its clubs.