You'll have to excuse Clay Buchholz if he looked a little tired this week. The Red Sox right-hander is still soaking up the memories from throwing a no-hitter in just his second Major League start.

On Tuesday, Buchholz received another accolade to add to his already historic night, when he was named the Bank of America Presents Player of the Week for the period ending Sept. 2.

"I did try [to sleep]," Buchholz said the day after throwing his first career no-hitter. "I laid down for maybe 10 minutes, [it] just didn't work out the way I thought it would. [I] sort of rolled with the punches, stayed awake and came in here about 8 o'clock this morning. ... There's no reason for me to try to fall asleep because it's not going to happen. I'm running on fumes right now."

The 23-year-old rookie became just the third player since 1900 to throw a no-hitter in his first or second career start. Buchholz struck out nine, walked three and hit a batter in the Red Sox's 10-0 victory over the Orioles.

"I went out and saw a couple of recaps on it," Buchholz said. "I'm sort of still in a fantasy world right now. It was a great day for me, and hopefully [there's] more to come."

Buchholz was helped out by some impressive defense, including a highlight reel play by second baseman Dustin Pedroia in the top of the seventh inning to keep the no-hitter in tact, but after the game, Boston's players wanted their starter to receive all the praise.

"We're back there just trying to make plays for him," center fielder Coco Crisp said. "We're his pawns ... and you know, we've got to come up with the plays. That's our job."

Buchholz joins fellow American Leaguers Justin Verlander and Mark Buehrle as the only pitchers to throw a no-hitter this season. Buchholz also becomes the first rookie to accomplish the feat since Florida's Anibal Sanchez no-hit the Diamondbacks on Sept. 6, 2006.

What makes Buchholtz's night even more memorable is that earlier this season the Sox right-hander didn't even know if he would be pitching in the big leagues this year. After already enjoying one short stint in the Majors earlier this season, Buchholz was one of six Sox Minor Leaguers to get called-up on Sept. 1, when rosters were allowed to be expanded to 40 players.

"[My dad] was sort of lost for words," said Buchholz, who only got the start because Tim Wakefield was scratched due to a sore back. "One thing he had been waiting for was for me to just give him the call that I was coming up here to get a start, but I don't think he ever thought of me calling and saying that I had thrown a no-hitter. He was real excited about that. It's what all of them dreamed about as I made my way through the organization and coming up here. I don't think they ever thought they'd see a no-hitter on the second start."

The 42nd overall pick of the 2005 First-Year Player Draft becomes the sixth Red Sox player to win the weekly award this season, joining Daisuke Matsuzaka, Dustin Pedroia, Manny Ramirez, Mike Lowell and David Ortiz.

Other players receiving consideration for the award were Angels outfielder Garrett Anderson (.391, .870 slugging percentage, two doubles, three home runs, 12 RBIs), Tampa Bay's Carlos Pena (.296, .852 slugging percentage, one double, one triple, four RBIs, 10 RBIs) and Cleveland's Paul Byrd (2-0, 1.80 ERA, one complete game, and one shutout).