Pirates Press Release
Pirates Manager Clint Hurdle, Pirates Charities and ROOT SPORTS set to partner on 2012 'Wins for Kids' campaign
Pirates Manager Clint Hurdle and his wife, Karla, and Pirates Charities, the official philanthropic arm of the Pittsburgh Pirates, in partnership with ROOT SPORTS™, announced the return of the "Wins for Kids" fundraising campaign for 2012. This marks the second season for the program focused on raising funds for Pirates Charities and the Children's Institute of Pittsburgh's Prader-Willi Syndrome Program through donations and pledges made for every Pirates win throughout the season.
Last season the Wins for Kids campaign raised more than $52,000 to benefit children in the Prader-Willi Syndrome Program and those who are touched by the many Pirates Charities’ programs,” said Pirates Chairman Bob Nutting. “Our goal of creating awareness of Prader-Willi Syndrome and raising funds to help those affected by the disease is being met with every donation we receive.”
The Pirates and ROOT SPORTS are encouraging fans to pledge any dollar amount they wish for every Pirates win this season. All monies raised will benefit Pirates Charities and the Children’s Institute of Pittsburgh’s Prader-Willi Syndrome Program. To pledge a “per win” donation or to simply support the program, fans can visit pirates.com/winsforkids. Fans will have the option to pledge a certain amount of money per win or make a one-time flat donation. All pledges per win will be collected at the end of the regular season.
We are pleased to continue this partnership with the Pirates and support Pirates Charities and Clint and Karla’s efforts to raise awareness and funds for the Children’s Institute of Pittsburgh’s Prader-Willi Syndrome Program,” said Shawn McClintock, Senior Vice President & General Manager of ROOT SPORTS
New for the 2012 season, dependent on specific dollar amounts pledged, donors will receive one of the following items:
- For every $1 donation per win, the donor will receive a Wins for Kids branded tee-shirt.
- For every $5 donation per win, the donor will receive a Wins for Kids branded tee-shirt PLUS an autographed baseball of his or her choice from a current Pirates’ player or coach.
- For every $10 donation per win, the donor will receive a Wins for Kids branded tee-shirt PLUS an autographed bat of his or her choice from a current Pirates’ player or coach.
- For every $25 donation per win, the donor will get a Wins for Kids branded tee-shirt PLUS an autographed jersey of his or her choice from a current Pirates’ player or coach
Also new this season is the Wins for Kids raffle in which everyone who makes a donation per win will receive an equal number of raffle tickets (i.e. donate $5/win and receive 5 raffle tickets) for a drawing to receive an Ultimate Pirates Package for the September 28 game vs. the Cincinnati Reds. The prize pack will include:
- 4 Lexus Club tickets
- Opportunity to throw out an honorary pitch during the pregame ceremony
- Opportunity to go to Pirates batting practice and meet with Pirates players & coaches
- Personalized Pirates jersey
Finally, fans will have the opportunity to take part in the “Match the Manager” challenge at $100 per win. Donors who match the donation made by Pirates Manager Clint Hurdle and their guest will get a special invite to an exclusive dinner party with Hurdle during the 2012 off-season (date and Pittsburgh area location of dinner to be determined).
Prader-Willi Syndrome (PWS) is a rare, complex generic disorder that affects many parts of the body and the Children's Institute of Pittsburgh is the only hospital-based site in the world offering treatment for this population.