Pirates Press Release
Pirates Homestand Highlights Friday, April 20- Wednesday, April 25, 2012
Kids Day and Pirates Charities 5K Home Run Highlight Second Homestand
The Pittsburgh Pirates return to PNC Park from a nine-game West coast road trip. After a three-game series in Arizona with the Diamondbacks, the team now returns to host the World Champion St. Louis Cardinals and the Colorado Rockies. The second homestand of 2012 is highlighted by the first Free Shirt Friday, Umbrella Night on Saturday and Kids Day on Sunday. Also slated for Saturday is the Second Annual Pirates Charities 5K Home Run that will take place on Pittsburgh's North Shore.
Friday, April 20, 2012- Pirates vs. St. Louis Cardinals (7:05 p.m.)
- 2012 Pittsburgh Pirates Career and Internship Fair: The Pirates 2012 Career and Internship Fair will take place today from 11:00 a.m. to 2:00 p.m. in the Pittsburgh Baseball Club at PNC Park. Meet and speak with representatives from professional sports teams, sports management programs and more. The cost to participate is $25 and includes entry to the fair and a ticket for the game. For details and to register contact Lauren Farrell at email@example.com.
- Jackie Robinson Day: The 18 winners of the Jackie Robinson Essay and Poetry Contest will be recognized on the field tonight in a pre-game ceremony. The Pittsburgh Pirates hosted the annual contest for students in grades 3 thru 8 and received over 2,700 entries from around the region. The Pirates will also recognize the recipient of the Sixth Annual Jackie Robinson Most Valuable Diverse Business Partner Award.
- Free Shirt Friday: The first Free Shirt Friday of the season is here! All fans with paid admission will receive a free Pirates T-shirt, compliments of Allegheny Sports Medicine.
- Check Card Game: As part of the many fan-friendly values at PNC Park, tonight is a PNC Bank Check Card game. Fans can save up to $10 on tickets for select games throughout the season simply by using a PNC Bank Check Card. For complete details, visit pirates.com/pnccheckcard.
Saturday, April 21, 2012-Pirates vs. St. Louis Cardinals (7:05 p.m.)
- Second Annual Pirates Charities 5K Home Run: The morning event will take place on Pittsburgh's North Shore, starting on Federal Street and finishing inside PNC Park. The race is open to fans of all ages and abilities with the top finishers from each category being recognized in a pre-game, on-field ceremony before that night's game. Families may also participate by taking part in the One Mile Family Fun Run, presented by DiBella's Subs. To register or obtain complete race details, visit pirates.com/5Khomerun.
- Field Dedication: Pirates Charities, along with Pirates Michael McKenry and Josh Harrison, will participate in the 11:30 a.m. opening day ceremonies for the new Plum Borough Baseball and Softball Association at Plum Borough Field (4575 New Texas Road, Plum PA 15239). Pirates Charities will present a grant through their Fields for Kids program to support repairs and updates to the field.
- Opening Day: Pirates infielder Neil Walker will take part in opening day ceremonies for the North Allegheny Baseball Association at North Allegheny Senior High School's softball field (10375 Perry Highway, Wexford, PA 15090).
- Awards Ceremony: Jeff Karstens will join former Steeler Hines Ward at the inaugural Western Pennsylvania Positive High School Athlete Awards from 2-3:00 p.m. at the Heinz History Center to honor 26 different local boys and girls high school sports. Positive Athlete was created as a movement to promote more positivity in youth sports. Award winners will receive an autographed Positive Athlete Dedication t-shirt, and will be guests of the Pirates during the May 9 game at PNC.
- Pirates Umbrella: All fans with paid admission will receive a Pirates umbrella, courtesy of Trib Total Media.
- Scratch and Win: All fans with paid admission will receive a scratch and win ticket, compliments of Eat'n Park.
- Beer Passport: Beer Passport ticket holders 21-and-older are invited to a 90-minute beer sampling event that begins when gates open at 5:30 p.m. For more information and to order tickets, visit pirates.com/beerpassport.
- Nurses Night: The Pirates are pleased to recognize area healthcare professionals with the first of six Nurses Nights at PNC Park. For complete information visit pirates.com/nurses or contact Melissa Campbell at (412) 325-4761.
- Saturday Raffles: Once again the Pirates Charities Saturday Raffles will be held in-stadium throughout the 2012 season. The raffle location is outside of the main Guest Relations office behind section 117. Fans can purchase raffle tickets to win prizes including Pirates memorabilia, original artwork, gift certificates and more. Raffle tickets are one for $2 or three for $5 with all proceeds benefitting Pirates Charities. The prize drawing takes place at the end of the 7th inning.
Sunday, April 22, 2012-Pirates vs. St. Louis Cardinals (1:35 p.m.) Kids Day
- Earth Day & Kids Recycled Cap: All kids ages 14 and younger, with paid admission, will receive a Pirates Earth Day cap, courtesy of Waste Management. The cap is made of 100% recycled materials.
- Drawstring Bag: All adults, with paid admission, will receive a drawstring backpack, presented by MLB Network.
- Buc Day: The popular Buc Day, presented by Sugardale, is back at PNC Park as a limited number of $1 tickets in select sections were available for today's game. Also at PNC Park general concession stands, all fans can enjoy Sugardale hot dogs and popcorn for just $1 each.
- Kids Day: Come down early and join the fun as the #1 Cochran Family Fun Zone will be open on Federal Street from 11:00 a.m. to 1:00 p.m. Lined up outside PNC Park will be inflatable rides, face painting, information about the #1 Cochran Bucaroos Kids Club and more.
- Kids Run the Bases: Kids attending today's game are invited to stick around after to run the bases on the field at PNC Park, courtesy of H.K. Anderson Pretzels.
- Advantage Card Game: As part of the many fan-friendly values at PNC Park, today is a Giant Eagle Advantage Card game! Fans can save up to $10 on select tickets for every Sunday home game. For complete details, visit pirates.com/advantagecard.
Monday, April 23, 2012-Pirates vs. Colorado Rockies (7:05 p.m.)
Tuesday, April 24, 2012-Pirates vs. Colorado Rockies (7:05 p.m.)
- Pups in the Park: Fans can bring their pooch to the park as the Pirates and Dad's Pet Care present the first of eight Pup Nights at PNC Park. Each ticket package (1 person & 1 dog) costs just $25 with additional human tickets available for $25 each. A portion of the proceeds benefit local animal shelters and seats are limited and subject to availability. For complete information and to order tickets fans can visit pirates.com/pups.
- VIP Night: The Pirates and Pirates Charities will host its first VIP Party of 2012. VIP (Very Important Pirate) Parties are monthly parties held during the season at PNC Park that will provide deserving children with a night at the ballpark in true VIP-style - complete with a private meet and greet with Pirates players & coaches, a Pirates replica jersey and VIP goodie bag for each child. There will also be an opportunity to participate in a pregame ceremony, a seat to watch the game in our exclusive World Series Suites, great menu items provided by Levy Restaurants, entertainment and much more.
Wednesday, April 25, 2012-Pirates vs. Colorado Rockies (12:35 p.m.)
- Lunch with the Bucs: Need to get out of the office? Do Lunch with the Bucs, sponsored by Trib Total Media. Infield Grandstand tickets are just $16 and come with $5 in loaded value and Outfield Box seats are just $24 and have $10 in loaded value attached. Loaded Value is a credit on your ticket(s) that can be used during the game at concession and merchandise stands throughout PNC Park. For more information visit pirates.com/lunch.
- Education Day: The first Education Day of 2012 will take place today as the National Weather Service and the Pirates are partnering to host a "weather station" inside PNC Park. There will be a pre-game scavenger hunt for all schools in attendance and representatives from the National Weather Service will be on hand to help students answer the questions in their workbooks. The books are underwritten by Pirates Charities and PPG Industries Foundation. The "weather station" will be located in the Picnic Park behind Center Field along the Riverwalk. For more information about Education Days at PNC Park, contact Andy Giambroni at Andy.Giambroni@pirates.com or by phone at (412) 325-4910.
Bowling with the Bucs is Back
The popular Pirates Charities event, Bowling with the Bucs will take place on Sunday, May 6 at Legacy Lanes in Baldwin. Pitchers Joel Hanrahan and Chris Resop will host the event that is a unique opportunity for fans to bowl with their favorite Pirates celebrities and raise money for Pirates Charities. For complete information and to register for the event, fans can visit pirates.com/bowling.
Pedal for Pirates Charities Presented by Highmark
On Saturday, May 12 cycling enthusiasts are invited to join Pirates Charities for a 100-bike outdoor stationary cycling event on Federal Street to raise money for Pirates Charities and the YMCA of Greater Pittsburgh's "Building Bridges" campaign. The event takes place from 1-5:00 p.m. and participants can "buy" a bike for the entire length of the event ($200) or "rent" a bike by the hour ($50). Local instructors from the Pittsburgh YMCA and the Oxford Athletic Club will lead this non-competitive event prior to that night's 7:05 p.m. game vs. the Houston Astros and participants will receive a game ticket, a commemorative towel and more. The event will take place rain or shine and in the event of a rain, cyclists will be under a tent. For complete information and to register for the event, fans can visit pirates.com/pedal.
Wins for Kids
During the 2012 season, Pirates manager Clint Hurdle, his wife Karla and ROOT SPORTS will partner with the team on the Wins for Kids fundraising campaign. The campaign encourages fans to donate a dollar amount for every Pirates win during the season. All funds raised will benefit Pirates Charities and the Children's Institute of Pittsburgh's Prader-Willi Syndrome Program. For more information about the Wins for Kids and to learn how to make a donation and find out how you can get special prizes just by donating, visit pirates.com/winsforkids.
Miracle League Field
On Saturday, May 26 Pirates Charities and Casey's Clubhouse will officially open Pirates Charities Miracle League of the South Hills. This marks the fifth Miracle League field Pirates Charities has had the honor to be involved in and fourth in the Pittsburgh area. The Miracle League of the South Hills is now accepting applications for special needs players (youth and adult leagues) and volunteers (buddies, umpires, announcers, coaches and more). Games will be held every Saturday from May 26 thru June 30. In addition, the league will return for a fall ball season. To register, volunteer or follow the story visit www.miracleleaguesouthhills.org.
Where's the Parrot?
The Pirate Parrot is active in and around the community as an ambassador of the Pirates organization. Below are a few of the upcoming Little League Opening Days he will be attending in the Greater Pittsburgh Area.
- The Penn Township Athletic Association's Opening Day Ceremonies on Saturday, April 21 from 9:00 - 10:30 a.m.
- The Weirton Baseball Opening Day Ceremonies on Saturday, April 28 from 9:30-11:00 a.m.
- The Burrell Fastpitch Opening Day on Saturday, April 28 from Noon - 1:00 p.m.
- To schedule your visit by the Pirate Parrot, please call 412-325-4730 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Take the "T"
New for all 81 games in 2012, fans coming to PNC Park are now able to take advantage of the FREE Light Rail Transit (or "T") service that will significantly enhance the experience for fans coming to and leaving the ballpark. Fans can now park at the First Avenue Garage, the Mellon Garage and many other garages in the downtown area for as low as $5 and ride the "T" to the doorstep of PNC Park for free. Also, fans who prefer to park in the lots west of Allegheny Avenue, can now ride the "T" free from the Allegheny Station outside of Heinz Field to the North Side Station on the doorstep of PNC Park's Home Plate Gate Entrance.
Dynamic Pricing Section
New for 2012, the Pirates unveiled dynamic pricing system for the Bleacher General Admission section at PNC. Tickets for the 1,400 seat section, located in left field, will be placed on sale 10-days prior to each home game. The initial ticket price will then be adjusted- both lower and higher- in real time, based on demand. The opening series at PNC Park featured an $8 dynamic deal for the Sunday, April 8 game vs. the Philadelphia Phillies. For the complete list of games and to find the on-sale dates, visit pirates.com/dynamic.
Pirates Season Ticket Plans
Full Season, 41-game, 20-game and 10-game season ticket plans are available for the 2012 season. Full and partial-season ticket plans feature exclusive benefits including guaranteed seats for the biggest games, discounted ticket prices, invitations to special season ticket holder events featuring Pirates players and executives, plus much more. For more information regarding purchasing a season ticket plan, call 1-800-BUY-BUCS or visit pirates.com/tickets.
2012 Fan Values
- The Pirates are pleased to offer special ticket prices for all 81 home games for kids ages 14 and younger in select sections of PNC Park. Save up to $7 on kid's single game tickets, visit pirates.com/tickets for more details.
- The Pirates single game tickets are among the most affordable in MLB as they start as low as $10. To order tickets for games throughout the 2012 season, visit pirates.com/tickets.
- Pirates' group tickets are available now for your next outing. Check out the Clemente package where every member of your group gets a limited edition Roberto Clemente replica jersey or the Hats Off package where every member receives a Pirates hat. For complete group information and to plan your next outing at PNC Park, visit pirates.com/groups.
The H.K. Anderson All You Can Eat Seats are available for all Pirates 2012 home games. For just $38, fans can enjoy the game in Outfield Reserved Seats (sections 145-147) along with all the hot dogs, hamburgers, nachos, salads, popcorn, peanuts, peanut butter filled pretzels, ice cream and soda they can eat for one low price! For more information and to order tickets fans can visit pirates.com/allyoucaneat