Teheran to attend All-Star Game, likely won't pitch
Braves righty scheduled to start Sunday, which would make him ineligible
NEW YORK -- Braves manager Fredi Gonzalez was prepared to alter his rotation had he been informed that Julio Teheran's All-Star selection was dependent on whether he would be available to pitch in the Midsummer Classic. But he was glad that he was never forced to make this decision that might have bothered some of his other starting pitchers.
Teheran earned his first career All-Star selection Sunday, despite the fact that it looks like he will not be available to pitch. The right-hander is scheduled to start Tuesday night and again this Sunday, two days before the Midsummer Classic in Minneapolis.
According to Major League Baseball rules, pitchers who start regular-season games on the Sunday preceding the All-Star Game are ineligible to pitch in the game and will be replaced on the roster. However, they are still recognized as All-Stars and are invited to be introduced in uniform and participate in other festivities.
"I'm OK with it," Teheran said. "I'm just happy to be selected. I'd prefer to pitch Sunday, win that game and then go to [Minneapolis] and just watch that game."
Had Teheran's selection hinged on his availability, Gonzalez could have started Teheran on normal rest Monday night. This would have forced Monday's starting pitcher, Mike Minor, to take the mound Tuesday with two extra days of rest.
"I think it worked out perfectly," Gonzalez said. "Julio gets to be in the All-Star Game and he gets to pitch Sunday and he gets to be fresh when we bring him back the next time around."
Teheran's mother will be at Citi Field for Tuesday night's start. She will then travel to Minneapolis, where she will meet her husband, who is flying from their native Colombia to enjoy the All-Star experience with their son.
Former Braves shortstop Edgar Renteria was the only previous Colombian to be named to an All-Star team.
"I know Colombia is going to be happy like me because we don't have that many players that get to the All-Star Game," Teheran said.
Gattis not expected back right after All-Star break
NEW YORK -- Braves manager Fredi Gonzalez remains hopeful that Evan Gattis will be healthy enough to return to his lineup within the next couple of weeks. But he does not believe his big catcher will be activated from the disabled list immediately after the All-Star break.
Gattis has been sidelined since June 27 with a bulging thoracic disc. He has gained some relief since getting an epidural injection last week. But he has not been cleared to begin any baseball-related activities.
If Gattis continues to progress, he might catch some bullpen sessions while the Braves are at Wrigley Field this weekend. But Gonzalez did not seem confident that his catcher would begin swinging a bat before the All-Star break begins Sunday evening.
"If he's only going to catch bullpens by this Saturday or Sunday, he won't come out [until] after the break," Gonzalez said.
Mark Bowman is a reporter for MLB.com. This story was not subject to the approval of Major League Baseball or its clubs.