06/07/2012 3:30 PM EST
Pirates Homestand Highlights Friday, June 8 thru Sunday, June 10, 2012
Heritage Weekend Highlights Pirates Fifth Homestand
The Pittsburgh Pirates return to PNC Park for a three-game weekend homestand with the Kansas City Royals. The fifth homestand of the season is highlighted by the African American Heritage Luncheon on Friday, June 8 and the first Fan Jam concert of 2012 featuring Boyz II Men on Saturday, June 9, all as a part of the Pirates Heritage Celebration Weekend.
Friday, June 8, 2012—Pirates vs. Kansas City Royals (7:05 p.m.)
- Heritage Luncheon: The Pirates will host African American Heritage Day Sports Luncheon with keynote speaker Pittsburgh Steelers head coach Mike Tomlin. The event will take place today from 11:30 a.m. to 1:30 p.m. in the PNC Park Lexus Club. For complete information, visit pirates.com/community or contact Chaz Kellem at (412) 325-4731 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Free Shirt Friday: Tonight is a Free Shirt Friday! All fans with paid admission will receive a free Pirates T-shirt, compliments of Augustine’s Pizza.
- Community Champion Awards: As part of our 2012 Heritage Weekend Celebration, the Pirates will present the “Pittsburgh Pirates Community Champion Awards" in a pre-game ceremony on the field at PNC Park. Area individuals who are "champions" of their communities and have positively contributed to the betterment of the diverse community in our region were chosen by an independent panel of judges. Winners of the 2012 Community Champion Awards are: Dr. Linda Clautti, Ronald Ford, Paula Kelly, Miles Loewy and Gerald Thompson.
- Check Card Game: As part of the many fan-friendly values at PNC Park, tonight is a PNC Bank Check Card game. Fans can save up to $10 on tickets for select games throughout the season simply by using a PNC Bank Check Card. For complete details, visit pirates.com/pnccheckcard.
- Pirates Celebrity Bartenders: Tonight’s celebrity bartender, former Pirates outfielder/ first baseman Al Oliver, will serve cocktails in the Hall of Fame Club beginning in the 7th inning and staying thru 30 minutes after the game.
Saturday, June 9, 2012—Pirates vs. Kansas City Royals (7:15 p.m.)
- Heritage Weekend Uniforms: Tonight both teams will pay tribute to the Negro Leagues by wearing N.L. uniforms for the game. The Pirates will wear the uniforms of the Homestead Grays and the visiting Royals will wear the Kansas City Monarchs uniforms. The uniforms will be auctioned in the coming weeks on pirates.com/authentics and all proceeds will benefit Pirates Charities..
- Boyz II Men Fan Jam: After tonight’s game, all fans are encouraged to stay in their seats for a post-game concert featuring the all-time top-selling R&B group Boyz II Men, presented by Iron City Beer. This is the first event of the 2012 Summer Concert Series at PNC Park. For a complete list of 2012 concerts at PNC and to order tickets, visit pirates.com/concerts.
- El Toro Signing: Pedro Alvarez will be at the Peters Township branch of PNC Bank (3850 Washington Rd, McMurray 15317) from noon to 1 p.m. signing FREE autographs.
- Wounded Warriors: Tonight at PNC Park more than 83 veterans from Operation Iraqi Freedom and their families with the Wounded Warrior Project will be guests of Pirates Chairman Bob Nutting. The Wounded Warrior Project is dedicated to help injured service members aid and assist each other as well as provide unique, direct programs and services to meet the needs of injured service members. To find out more about the WWP, visit woundedwarriorproject.org.
- Fantasy Baseball World Series: Since January, 13 Boys and Girls Clubs sites and five schools within the Diocese of Pittsburgh have been teaching math using baseball statistics through the Fantasy Baseball Math Program, presented by Pirates Charities and supported by Neal and Becca Huntington. Today the winning teams will come together to participate in a “World Series” at PNC Park’s Hall of Fame Club. There will be 30 students in grades 4-8, from the Diocese of Pittsburgh and the Boys and Girls Clubs of Western PA that will compete to be named the champions at the Pittsburgh Regional Fantasy Baseball World Series! Neal and Becca Huntington will be on hand to present the prizes to the winners of this tournament, who will also be recognized at the June 19 Pirates game.
- Josh Gibson Scholarships: Tonight in a pre-game ceremony, the Pirates and the Josh Gibson Foundation will award two student scholarships in the amount of $2,000 for continuing education. Tonight’s recipients are Jacqueline Clarke of Barack Obama Academy of International Arts and Jordan Edmunds of Central Catholic High School. Both students will attend Howard University in the fall.
- Negro League Representatives: The Pirates are pleased to welcome two representatives of the Negro Leagues as former players Ted Toles, Jr. and Pedro Sierra will be special guests of the team. Sierra played five seasons in the Negro League as part of his 22-year playing career and was a Negro League All-Star in 1956. Former Pittsburgh Crawford, Toles played four seasons in the Negro League with Pittsburgh, Cleveland, Newark and Jacksonville.
- Special Guests: The Pirates and their partners at WPAHS have donated 50 tickets to Saturday night’s game to The Western Pennsylvania Hospital’s Summer Camp for Burned Children, which is a week-long, overnight camp that provides a safe, fun environment for children who have been burned. The camp is held each June at Camp Kon-OKwee outside of Zelienople, PA. Through the generosity of donors, Burn Camp has been offered free of charge to all children who have been patients in West Penn’s Burn Center.
- Saturday Raffles: The Pirates Charities Saturday Raffles will be held in-stadium throughout the 2012 season. The raffle location is outside of the main Guest Relations office behind section 117. Fans can purchase raffle tickets to win prizes including Pirates memorabilia, original artwork, gift certificates and more. Raffle tickets are one for $2 or three for $5 with all proceeds benefitting Pirates Charities. The prize drawing takes place at the end of the 7th inning.
- Scratch and Win: All fans, with paid admission, will receive a scratch and win ticket, compliments of Eat’n Park.
Sunday, June 10, 2012—Pirates vs. Kansas City Royals (1:35 p.m.) Kids Day
- Kids Day: Come down early and join the fun as the #1 Cochran Family Fun Zone will be open on Federal Street from 11 a.m. to 1 p.m. Lined up outside PNC Park will be inflatable rides, face painting, information about the #1 Cochran Bucaroos Kids Club and more.
- Kids Shades: All kids ages 14 and under, with paid admission, will receive a pair of kid’s sunglasses, presented by Peppers.
- Kids Run the Bases: Kids attending today’s game are invited to stick around after the game to run the bases on the field at PNC Park, courtesy of H.K. Anderson Pretzels.
- Advantage Card Game: As part of the many fan-friendly values at PNC Park, today is a Giant Eagle Advantage Card game! Fans can save up to $10 on select tickets for every Sunday home game. For complete details, visit pirates.com/advantagecard.
- March for Babies: For the third year, Pirates employees, family, friends and community members will take part in the March of Dimes “March for Babies.” The march begins at 9 a.m. and fundraisers and participants will receive a picnic lunch on Federal Street after the walk compliments of ARAMARK. In addition, each participant receives a ticket to the afternoon game vs. the Royals and an opportunity to take a lap around the field on the PNC Park warning track as part of the route. In 2011, more than 5,000 walkers participated in the event raising over $700,000. For complete information visit www.marchforbabies.org.
- 7th Annual Pirates Charities Golf Classic
- On Monday, June 11, Pirates Charities will host the 7th annual Pirates Charities Golf Classic, presented by West Penn Allegheny Health System, at The Club at Nevillewood. The event will be co-chaired by Pirates and Pirates Charities President Frank Coonelly and West Penn Allegheny Health System Board Chair Jack Isherwood, with Harold F. Balk, Esq. as Committee Chair. At the event, over 100 participants will have the unique opportunity to spend the day with current and former Pirates players, broadcasters and front office executives while supporting the many and varied efforts of Pirates Charities throughout the year. Due to the exclusivity of this event, only 28 foursomes are available. For more information or to become a sponsor, please contact Jackie Hunter at Jackie.Hunter@pirates.com or by phone at (412) 325-4776.
- Anything that Floats
- On Wednesday, July 4, the “Anything that Floats” race is back as part of the 35th Annual Pittsburgh Regatta and this year proceeds from the race will go directly to support Pirates Charities. The race will start at 10 a.m. on Maz Quay on the North Shore River Walk and entries are encouraged to be as creative as possible as teams can push, pull, paddle, shimmy or sway their way to the finish line. Registration is $100 and for complete information and to sign up for the Anything that Floats race, contact Zach Verona at AnythingthatFloats@gmail.com.
Pitch for Hope
On Sunday, June 24 the Pirates will host the Pitch for Hope Women’s Baseball Clinic beginning at 8 a.m. on the field at PNC Park. The event is being sponsored by the Women’s Initiative at Eckert Seamans, Pittsburgh Brewing Company, ILORI and Rue 21. Women ages 14 and older are invited to take part in the clinic, where they will have the opportunity to learn the fundamentals of pitching, hitting and fielding from Pirates players and coaches. The cost to participate in the event is $55 and it includes a ticket to the Pirates’ game against the Detroit Tigers at 1:35 p.m. that afternoon. In addition, participants will receive a complimentary commemorative t-shirt. For more information about the event and to register, visit pirates.com/pitchforhope.
Cruise for a Cure
The Pirate Parrot will hold his third annual bike ride across Pennsylvania, leaving Pittsburgh on Monday, June 25, stopping that night in Altoona for the Curve’s 7 p.m. game at People’s Natural Gas Field, and arriving in Philadelphia on Wednesday, June 27 in time to take part in pre-game ceremonies before the Pirates game at Citizen’s Bank Park. New this year, the ride will be round trip as the Parrot will retrace the more than 350 mile trek back across the Commonwealth and arrive in State College on Thursday, June 28 and back to PNC Park on Friday, June 29. The Charity bike ride is in partnership with Pirates Charities and Mosites Motorsports with all proceeds benefiting the Western Pennsylvania Prostate Cancer Foundation. For more information about the Cruise for a Cure and to find out how to donate, visit pirates.com/cruise.
Where’s the Parrot?
The Pirate Parrot is active in and around the community as an ambassador of the Pirates organization. Below are a few of the upcoming events he will be attending in the Greater Pittsburgh Area.
- Walk Now for Autism Speaks at Heinz Field on Saturday, June 9 from 9:30 to 10:30 a.m.
- The Greenstone 61st Annual Strawberry Festival in Avalon, Pa on Saturday, June 9 from 2 to 2:30 p.m.
- Bike Nights 2012 in Station Square on Thursday, June 14 from 6:30 to 7:30 p.m.
To schedule your visit by the Pirate Parrot, please call (412) 325-4730 or email email@example.com.
Vote for Your Buccos
The MLB All Star game is just around the corner and to encourage fans to vote for their favorite Buccos, the Pirates are offering fans extra incentives to cast ballots, with two exciting offers: The Pirates All-Star Game Ballot Sweepstakes and a special Half-Price Ticket Offer. The Pirates want fans to vote early and vote often. Fans are able to vote a maximum of 25 times online with the 2012 All-Star Game MLB.com Ballot. Online voting ends June 28 at 11:59 p.m. ET. To vote for your Pirates and for complete details, visit pirates.com.
Dynamic Pricing Section
New for 2012, the Pirates unveiled dynamic pricing system for the Bleacher General Admission section at PNC Park. Tickets for the 1,400 seat section, located in left field, will be placed on sale 10-days prior to each home game. The initial ticket price will then be adjusted- both lower and higher- in real time, based on demand. As of June 7, this homestand
features $12 tickets for the 1:35 p.m. game on Sunday, June 10 vs. the Royals. For the complete list of games and to find the on-sale dates, visit pirates.com/dynamic.
Pirates Iron City Cans
Earlier this month, Pittsburgh Brewing Company unveiled new Pittsburgh Pirates branded I.C. Light cans and bottles that will hit outlets for a limited time beginning in June. The new cans, which feature the Pirates jersey lettering across the top, are available in 12- and 16-ounce 24- and 30-packs, while the 12-ounce bottles are available in 24-packs. The new Pirates branded products are part of Pittsburgh Brewing Company’s on-going partnership with the Pirates, which also includes sponsorship of the team’s Fan Jam on Saturday, June 9 featuring Boyz II Men, and two SkyBlast dates. The cans and bottles come in the Pittsburgh signature black and gold and can be found in distributorships throughout the area.
Pirates Season Ticket Plans
Full Season, 41-game, 20-game and 10-game season ticket plans are available for the 2012 season. Full and partial-season ticket plans feature exclusive benefits including guaranteed seats for the biggest games, discounted ticket prices, invitations to special season ticket holder events featuring Pirates players and executives, plus much more. For more information regarding purchasing a season ticket plan, call 1-800-BUY-BUCS or visit pirates.com/tickets.
2012 Fan Values
The Pirates are pleased to offer special ticket prices for all 81 home games for kids ages 14 and younger in select sections of PNC Park. Save up to $7 on kid’s single game tickets, visit pirates.com/tickets for more details.
The Pepsi Max Pack returns for all Friday and Sunday games throughout the 2012 season. Each pack consists of one Outfield Box seat, one regular hot dog, one soft pretzel, and one regular Pepsi product, all for only $24. For more information on Pepsi Max Packs or to purchase tickets, visit pirates.com/pepsimax.
The Pirates single game tickets are among the most affordable in MLB as they start as low as $10. To order tickets for games throughout the 2012 season, visit pirates.com/tickets.
For a complete list of the 2012 Pirates promotions and special events, visit pirates.com/promotions.
This story was not subject to the approval of Major League Baseball or its clubs.