11/20/2012 10:43 AM ET
Pirates announce 2013 promotional schedule and home game times
The Pittsburgh Pirates announced today the details of their 2013 promotional schedule and home game times. Along with the return of many popular giveaways, the Pirates have also added some unique promotional items and events.
The first pitch of the 2013 season is scheduled to be thrown at 1:35 p.m. on Opening Day at PNC Park on Monday, April 1 vs. National League Central Division rivals Chicago Cubs.
The promotional schedule will once again feature the extremely popular “SKYBLAST” series, which includes a live concert by a popular musical performer accompanied by a spectacular Zambelli Fireworks show following the game. The dates and performers are as follows:
- Saturday, August 31, will feature a soon to be announced performing artist after the Pirates take on the St. Louis Cardinals at 7:05 p.m.
- The rock band Neon Trees will perform live on Saturday, September 21, after the Pirates battle the Cincinnati Reds at 7:05 p.m. The popular band broke onto the national music scene in 2008 and their hits include “Animal” and “Everybody Talks,” with the latter climbing as high as number six on the Billboard Top 100.
In addition, the Pirates announced the popular “FAN JAM” post-game concert series will be back once again in 2013. The dates and performers are as follows:
- Saturday, June 1 will feature legendary R&B artists Kool & the Gang performing post-game after the Pirates battle the Cincinnati Reds at 7:15 p.m. as part of the annual Heritage Celebration weekend.
- Saturday, June 15 will feature a soon to be announced performing artist after the Pirates take on the Los Angeles Dodgers at 4:05 p.m.
The 2013 promotional schedule will also feature two bobblehead promotional games:
- Saturday, April 20 will feature the Andrew McCutchen Awards bobblehead as the Pirates take on the Atlanta Braves at 3:05 p.m. The first 25,000 fans will receive a bobblehead celebrating the offseason honors collected by the Pirates All-Star centerfielder such as the Rawlings Gold Glove Award and the Louisville Silver Slugger Award.
- Saturday, May 18 the first 25,000 fans will receive an A.J. Burnett camouflage jersey bobblehead as the Pirates host the Houston Astros at 7:05 p.m. on Armed Forces Day. The Pirates will also be wearing their camouflage jerseys that game.
Other promotions of note:
- Every Friday will once again be the popular “Free Shirt Fridays” which will feature a different Pirates themed t-shirt giveaway for all fans attending any of the 13 Pirates Friday home games.
- In addition to the SKYBLAST dates, there are six Saturday home games featuring a Zambelli Fireworks show after the game scheduled throughout the 2013 season.
- Sundays will also once again be designated as “Kids Days” at PNC Park. There will be fun and games outside PNC Park on Federal Street prior to each Sunday afternoon home game and most dates will feature kids 14 years of age and younger special giveaway with paid admission to the game. Some of the promotional highlights include kids pierogy umbrella giveaway on Sunday, May 5; kids A.J. Burnett replica camo jersey on Sunday, May 19; and kids Pedro Alvarez replica Sunday alternate jersey on Sunday, August 4.
- The Pirates will also honor the men and women of the United States Armed Forces throughout the weekend series vs. the Houston Astros on Friday, May 17 thru Sunday, May 19. Friday night will feature a military inspired Pirates t-shirt for all fans, Saturday will be the Burnett camo bobblehead giveaway on Armed Forces Day for the first 25,000 fans, and Sunday will feature the kids Burnett replica camo jersey.
- Father’s Day, Sunday, June 16, the Pirates will celebrate by giving all children 14 years of age and younger a kid’s replica Sunday alternate cap and all dads a Sunday replica cap prior to the game against the Los Angeles Dodgers at 1:35 p.m.
The 2013 promotional items will be on display at PirateFest being held at the David L. Lawrence Convention Center on December 14 for Season Ticket Holders and December 15 and 16 for the general public. Additional information and images of the promotional items can be found at pirates.com or by calling 1-800-BUY-BUCS.
Individual game tickets will be on sale for the general public starting this Friday, November 23 at 10 a.m. and can be purchased at the PNC Park Main Box Office, online at pirates.com/tickets or by calling 1-877-893-2827. Tickets will also be available at PirateFest.
This story was not subject to the approval of Major League Baseball or its clubs.