The jersey of this period was short-sleeved with no trim except for
a dark blue collar. Stockings were dark blue with red stripes and
the cap was blue with a white "P". A "PBC" monogram signifying
Pittsburgh Baseball Club was also added to the left sleeve later
in the decade.
The regular collar was replaced by the short, stand-up "cadet"
style with a button collar. Pinstriped material was also
introduced. As the team nickname became more accepted,
"Pirates" was displayed in capital letters down the button lapel
(1912). The cadet-style collar soon gave way to a tapered collar
extension, but the buttonlapel remained solid dark blue with
white buttons and a "P-P" straddling the top button (1913-14).
Later in this decade, the cap had piping and also included a "P"
in white or red.
Standard white uniforms were worn at home and gray on the road with simple graphics and solid colors. The 1925 and '27 championship teams wore the standard capital P on its sleeves but not on the jersey. A red P was also placed on the solid blue cap.
The Pirate uniforms brightened up considerably with added
colors, trim features and graphics. The name "Pirates" was
placed across the jersey in an arc of fancy red and blue capital
letters. Solid blue belts were included and piping trim on the
uniforms included blue and red. A red "P" was also placed on
the solid blue cap.
The name "Pirates" appeared on the jersey in script lettering with
A zipper front replaced the button-down jersey.
The uniform abandons the traditional "P" or "Pirates" for an
emblem of an actual buccaneer. The patch was placed on the left
breast of both the home and road jerseys. This was the first time
an emblem of the team's nickname was ever worn on a game
The team replaced the traditional blue and red with the present
day black and gold. The script "Pirates" and "Pittsburgh" was
replaced with the block lettering that you still see today. The cap
became solid black with a gold "P".
The word "Pittsburgh" is removed from the road jersey, and
replaced with "Pirates".
The Pirates became the second team to begin wearing sleeveless jerseys.
Numbers were introduced on the front of the home and road
jerseys and have been there ever since.
The Pirates became the first major league club to adopt the new
double-knit fabric uniforms, which they debuted at the first game
at the new Three Rivers Stadium. The jersey became a pullover
with no button or zipper. The pants contained a built-in sash belt.
The cap crown was mustard yellow with a black bill. Within two
years, nearly every other club was wearing a double-knit uniform.
The Pirates, as well as other clubs, commemorate the National
League's centennial by wearing the old striped, pill-box style caps.
The Bucs wore yellow caps with a black bill and black stripes.
Abandoned were the traditional white and gray uniforms in
exchange for combinations of white, gold, black iand pinstriping.
The caps became black with yellow stripes. Players' last names
appear on the back of the jerseys for the first time.
The Pirates returned to the basic white and gray uniform.
The Pirates replaced the striped cap in favor of the traditional
standard black round crown type.
A script "Pittsburgh" is added to the gray road uniform for the first
time since 1952.
The Pirates return to button-down jerseys and belted pants.
Going back to a more traditional look, the Pirates removed the
names from the back of the jerseys.
That change lasted only one year, as the Pirates return the names
to the back of the jerseys.
The organization introduce a complete new look by introducing an
alternate home jersey as well as bringing the color "red" back into
the uniform for the first time since 1946.
With the opening of PNC Park, the club enters a "New Era of Baseball." The team re-introduces the sleeveless jersey as part of both the home and road uniform. The Pirates also become the first team ever to wear a cap with a red underbill (cap worn with the alternate home jersey only).
The Pirates re-introduce pinstripes to the uniform. The alternate uniforms are worn on Sunday home games.
The club introduces a red, sleeveless jersey to be worn on selected home dates.
The Pirates re-introduce sleeves to their home and road jerseys and added a black alternate jersey. The sleeveless pinstriped jersey are worn on Sundays through the end of 2010.
The club introduces an alternate uniform mustard gold cap which will be worn on Sunday home games throughout the season. The pullover style jersey, similar to the one from the early 1970's, will be made of "Cool
Base" fabric for improved breathability and increased range of motion. The front of the jersey will feature black "Pirates" lettering outlined in mustard gold on the chest, as well as the player's number below the lettering on the left hand side of the jersey. The players' names have been added to the back of the jerseys to go along with their number, as opposed to the 1970 jerseys that did not feature the names. Black, white and mustard gold piping will be featured on the jersey's collar and sleeves, as well as on the waistband of the pants.