Israel Del Toro
United States Air Force
Israel Del Toro, of Cibolo, Texas, was given a 15 percent chance of survival after an IED explosion left him with third-degree burns over 85 percent of his body. The Air Force sergeant was in a remote part of Afghanistan in December 2005 when his Humvee hit a roadside bomb. But Israel did survive, and after 120 surgeries (so far), he is the first 100 percent disabled Airmen to re-enlist in the Air Force, currently serving as an instructor. He also recently competed in the Warrior Games. Today the multiple medal winner speaks to students and military personnel, urging them not to give up on their dreams. He has been a board member of Operation Home Front, raised $25K for the Real Hero's Children's Charity, and participated in three home builds with Habitat for Humanity.